About Graduate Life
- Core Competencies of a Graduate Student Some random thoughts about what I think make a solid graduate student.
- Four Pillars of a PhD A tongue-in-cheek post I wrote years ago about PhD depression. You’re not the only one!
- Applying to PhD Programs in Computer Science A mix of “what you need to know” and some nice pieces of personal advice. Some of it is US-centric, but most is applicable generally.
- CS Grad School Part 1: Deciding to Apply Personal stories by Jean Yang, a PhD student at MIT.
- Proposal Writing
- Clark, H. H. (1999). Everyone Can Write Better (and You Are No Exception). A quick, but super awesome read.
- Saul’s guide on how to write related literature section
- Another tip on related work: it’s like a cocktail party, and you’re the host
- Related Work Tutorial
- Setting up EZProxy for UCalgary. The university has subscriptions to many major digital libraries. Getting this set up allows you to get PDFs from off-campus.
- Why you should use video
- Tips for Preparing an Oral Defense
- How to do reviews for HCI conferences
Statistics in HCI
- Koji Yatani’s Statistics for HCI Research - Love this as a resource for thinking about statistics tests and their use in HCI research
- How to report an F statistic
- ANOVA Explained
- Within- vs. Between- subjects designs
- Excellent summary of interaction effects
- Writing a Proposal (written for CPSC 502/503, but generally applicable)
- Preparing a Literature Survey
- Writing a Research Paper (written for 502/503, but generally useful)
- HCI Conferences 101
- Attending Conferences: Level 0
- Attending Conferences: Level 1
- Attending Conferences: Level 2
- Attending Conferences: Level 3